JOB SUMMARY: Manages human resources (HR) for an Area. Implements and audits compliance with company and Region HR policies. Coaches and mentors Branch HR personnel in carrying out compliant HR programs and resolving issues. Performs investigations and provides representation at hearings on HR matters. Provides financial controls for costs related to Workers’ Compensation, Benefits, Unemployment and hiring.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Primary job function is the management of general human resources matters at the Area level.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
- Provides management oversight of HR policies and procedures within Area; supports Area Vice President in achieving operational goals through effective HR practices.
- Analyzes human resources and financial indicators to continuously improve the Area’s performance.
- May temporarily act on behalf of line management, as delegated.
- As directed, conducts analysis of Area HR performance and data, gathers information, and assists in implementing corrective action.
- Provides direction for recruiting efforts within Area; utilizes a broad range of recruitment sources to meet staffing and EEO/Affirmative Action requirements; may supervise recruiting staff.
- Advises Branch Managers in employee retention efforts.
- Acts to ensure compliance with FLSA and other applicable statutes and regulations related to HR.
- Audits Branch office HR practices and files; reviews applicant logs to ensure that appropriate selection criteria are established for each open position.
- Keeps management and staff advised of new regulations and company policies related to HR; monitors and reports on progress toward Affirmative Action goals and related issues.
- Serves as a liaison on HR initiatives and issues between the Area Office, Branches, the Region and shared services HR functions, including EEO/Affirmative Action, Employee Relations, Compensation and Benefits, and Recruiting.
- Administers employee benefit plans on the local level based on eligibility, company policy, and as defined by client contracts.
- Participates in payroll administration.
- Participates in unemployment, wage/hour and EEOC hearings in the Area as coordinated with Region HR management and shared services functions; prepares and oversees preparation of data for OFCCP audits and Affirmative Action Plans.
- Advises management and employees on the interpretation of HR policies, programs, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations; guides management in performance management and general HR issues.
- Analyzes and provides advice to supervisors and managers on methods and approaches to resolve employee work problems; as directed, conducts employee counseling and disciplinary procedures.
- Performs tasks and duties of a similar nature and scope as required for assignment.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree and two or more years progressively responsible human resources experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job, as determined by the company. Additional relevant experience can be substituted for the required education on the basis of one calendar year of experience for one academic year of education.
Competencies (as demonstrated through experience, training, and/or testing):
- Understanding of security operations.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations related to HR, including EEO and FLSA.
- Thorough knowledge of recruiting practices, techniques and sources.
- Thorough understanding of standard office procedures and practices.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
- Use of personal computer and standard office productivity software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Excellent recruiting and interviewing skills.
- Ability to conduct counseling in routine disciplinary matters.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret various internal and external documents and reports.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures in a clear and concise manner.
- Planning, organizing, and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels and across diverse cultures.
- Ability to maintain professional composure when dealing with emotional or confrontational circumstances.
- Ability to be an effective team member and handle projects responsibly.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the external environment and organization.
- Courteous telephone manner.
- Strong customer and results orientation.
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands)
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Maintaining composure in dealing with authorities, executives, clients, staff and the public, occasionally under conditions of urgency and in pressure situations.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Regular computer usage.
- Handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Use of vehicle required in the performance of duties.
- Regular talking and hearing.
- Occasional walking, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
- Frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
- Close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.