Develops profitable business in Fire and Safety Services using appropriate marketing and sales methodologies. Assists in the development of the sales and marketing campaign strategy to increase the company portfolio of business in fire suppression, AARF, EMS, and training and technical support offerings. Leverages and captures business opportunities in commercial and Fed/SLED markets by using data mining tools, professional networks, and trade associations. Makes sales presentations to prospective customers. Develops and submits proposals and responses to RFPs identified and issued by prospective clients. Responsible for soliciting orders, proposal intelligence gathering, and effective pricing strategies to create market competiveness. Meets with clients to assess satisfaction with services and to identify additional business opportunities. Works with Managers to generate required rebid proposals and assist them with presentations to acquire new business.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately and may include functions, objectives, duties, or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties, or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties, or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical, and professional manner and are to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
- Prospects for new clients and business opportunities through a variety of techniques, including professional networks, trade shows (e.g. NFPA, FDID, IAFC), targeted marketing efforts, and telephone solicitation.
- Develops and maintains current list of all prospects in electronic database as specified by company or agency through interaction with EH&S and risk management professionals.
- Under manager direction, develops pricing and business development strategies in collaboration with local area management and marketing team.
- Works with company sales and marketing department to focus sales efforts on developed and graded leads in developing campaigns to maximize sales efforts.
- Participates in trade associations and trade shows, and assists in other promotional efforts to further market knowledge and company presence.
- Analyzes local market to identify market opportunities, prospective companies, and associates buyers.
- Follows-up on referrals and self-generated leads to identify buyer influences and any timing issues; monitors prospects’ contract calendars; and prepares reports on status of leads and other reports as required.
- Plans prospect visits with appropriate operations personnel such as the responsible local management and business development team.
- Develops targeted sales presentation materials for presentations to prospective customers.
- Develops and submits proposals and responses to RFP’s issued by prospective clients after obtaining pricing and specifications approval from management as appropriate.
- Solicits orders and processes approved service schedules; strive to achieve sales goals and input all sales activity into database.
- Enhances and maintains business development skills through participation in a variety of training programs as assigned.
- Must have the ability to travel up to 50% of the time with coverage area that consists of multiple, designated States and nationally.
- Performs additional functions, duties and specific tasks of a similar nature and scope as necessary in order to achieve assigned business objectives.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT ENTRY
Additional qualifications may be specified and receive preference depending upon the nature of the position
Must have the ability to travel up to 50% of the time with coverage area that consists of multiple, designated States and nationally
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of business-to-business selling experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job, as determined by the company. Additional relevant experience can be substituted for the required education on the basis of one calendar year of experience for one academic year of education.
Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey, in addition to any mandatory licensing requirements
Competencies (as demonstrated through experience, training, and/or testing)
- Skilled in persuasive oral and written communication, including effective executive-level presentation skills
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of sales, business development, and marketing
- Demonstrated experience and thorough understanding of fire and safety services operations
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) and developing professional electronic documentation
- Demonstrated energy, drive, determination, and persistence, even when confronted with rejection
- Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and prospects.
- Ability to analyze sales data and develop recommendations and solutions
- Ability to maintain composure in dealing with executives, clients, prospects, and staff, in group settings and in situations requiring high performance and results
- Excellent planning, organizing, and time management skills
- Ability to carry out multiple assignments concurrently
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels and across diverse cultures.
- Ability to be an effective team member and handle project assignments responsibly
- Ability to adapt to changes in the external environment and organization
- Courteous telephone manner
- Ability to present information effectively and respond clearly and concisely to questions from groups
- Ability to capture all Business Development Activity within Sales force on a timely basis
- Ability to continuously self-educate to the changes in related industry
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to professionally represent our company and our industry
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands)
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Regular use of vehicle required in the performance of duties
- Regular talking and hearing
- Close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Frequent local and regional/national travel to client sites for presentations, meetings, and visits
- Frequent lifting and/or moving of presentation materials up to 20 pounds