Job Summary: The Case Review Officer (CRO), in addition to reviewing reports of investigation for accuracy and completeness, provides advice and guidance to investigators regarding investigative and formatting requirements. The CRO monitors pending cases to ensure compliance with timeliness expectations and tracks submission of investigative leads; prioritizes cases where noteworthy or derogatory information is developed; monitors pending cases, reviews and revises reports of investigation; checks for quality and takes necessary actions to complete case; notates Investigator quality performance remarks; and schedules additional leads as discovered during the investigation.
The CRO will be responsible for reviewing reports of investigation completed by Field Investigators to ensure investigative coverage is met in accordance with applicable directives and investigative standards while meeting timeliness expectations for case delivery. CROs will review reports from a variety of personal and record sources and ensure that all pertinent facts of an individual’s background and character have been reported, in accordance with government guidelines and instructions. Characteristics of the position include managing the batching of reports of investigation in priority order based on customer needs and expectations. Self-discipline, organizational skills, attention to detail and writing ability within a metrics-driven fast-paced environment are critical distinguishing elements of the position.
- Review background reports of investigations that help to ensure the safety and security of the nation.
- Ensure that the information compiled in the report of investigation is clear, concise, and meets the requirements prescribed by the requesting customer.
- Ability to establish and build rapport with new people
- Interact with field team leaders and field investigators with tact and professionalism to ensure the timeliness and thoroughness of investigations.
- Interact with Team Leader, Manager, and others in a professional manner via email and phone
- Monitor pending cases to ensure compliance with delivery due dates and track submission of investigative leads
- Ensure leads are completed in a timely manner and in accordance with investigative standards
- Must be able to read, comprehend and apply technical aspects and requirements of the OPM Investigators Handbook and Tiered Investigation Guide
- Ability to identify, understand and apply federal, state and local changes to and/or new regulations/laws pertaining to personnel investigations
- Ability to synthesize information, identify key findings and determine conclusions
- Must be able to distinguish discrepancies between various documents and reports of investigation
- Must be willing to work additional hours in a flexible setting in order to meet deadlines and customer expectations
- Must be proficient with laptop, cell phone, printer and Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Must be able to work with little supervision, multi-task, work beyond minimum expectations and, remain flexible and receptive to frequent policy changes and organizational need
- Ability to work remotely without daily supervision and minimal distraction
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT ENTRY:
Additional qualifications may be specified and receive preference, depending upon the nature of the position.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Current (within the last 2 years) Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) or active Secret level security clearance based on an SSBI and able to obtain the required security clearance and successfully pass an adjudicated SSBI clearance.
- Ability to acquire and maintain any other specific special clearances/access requirements.
- Reliable personal vehicle, valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Must be able to attend training in our Slippery Rock, PA office, and successfully complete and pass all required training
Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey, in addition to any mandatory licensing requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required. Additional relevant experience can be substituted for the required education on the basis of one calendar year of experience for one academic year of education.
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands):
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Maintaining composure in dealing with executives, clients, prospects and staff, in group settings and in situations requiring high performance and results.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey.
- Handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Speak and hear sufficiently to communicate in person and by phone.
- Maintain visual ability including close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.