The Field Investigator (FI) directly supports national security and suitability investigations, focusing on performing background investigations on behalf of government clients. Investigators will conduct interviews, retrieve records, conduct research and prepare reports of investigations in compliance with federal standards, all laws, and other required federal agency regulations. Investigators type comprehensive reports summarizing facts obtained from these field source interviews and record information and submit for quality review and completeness. The work location will normally be in the field conducting investigations but may, at times, require reporting to a field office for meetings or training. Field Investigators engage in dialogue on a regular basis with managers and representatives at contractor facilities, various U.S. Government organizations, and law enforcement agencies to develop and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships. Casework is performed throughout the geographic area of responsibility with travel to various places of employment, residence and educational institutions. Travel to other geographic locations (by car or plane) also may be required as needed.
The Field Investigator will be responsible for scoping and briefing casework to determine areas of investigative coverage required in accordance with applicable directives and investigative standards and conduct record checks to meet investigative requirements and obtain factual information from a variety of personal and record sources to produce a report of investigation containing all pertinent facts of an individual’s background and character, in accordance with government guidelines and instructions. Characteristics of the position include managing the batching and bundling of leads and general assignments to promote efficiencies and control costs to SCIS. Self-discipline, organizational skills, and writing ability within a metrics-driven environment are critical distinguishing elements of the position.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
- Conduct interviews and background checks that help to ensure the safety and security of the nation.
- Obtain and report factual information for background investigations that determine employment suitability and security clearance eligibility.
- Conduct face-to-face interviews with the applicant and their neighbors, coworkers, friends, and associates.
- Complete record searches at law enforcement agencies, courthouses, and mental health, financial, and educational institutions.
- Compile information in a clear, concise report on a standardized reporting format.
- Meet quality, timeliness, and production metrics
- Interact with team leader and case review officers to ensure timeliness and thoroughness of investigations.
- Assist in obtaining field work in a rapid, time-sensitive work environment.
- Ensure leads are completed in a timely manner and in accordance with investigative standards.
- May be asked to assist with temporary details (TDYs) to high-need areas, dependent upon workload demands.
- Perform additional functions, duties and specific tasks of a similar nature and scope as necessary in order to achieve assigned business objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT ENTRY
Additional qualifications may be specified and receive preference, depending upon the nature of the position.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Current (within the last 2 years) Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) or active Secret level security clearance based on an SSBI and able to obtain the required security clearance.
- Successfully passed an adjudicated SSBI clearance
- Ability to acquire and maintain any other specific special clearances/access requirements.
- Reliable personal vehicle, valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Minimum of three (3) years within the last five (5) years of experience conducting general background investigations or as a local, state, military or Federal law enforcement officer
- Experience conducting one-on-one subject interviews is required
- Experience with metrics tools, processes, and delivery assurance
- Must be able to successfully complete and pass all required training
- Ability to cover a local territory of approximately a 50 mile radius from home residence
- Must have the ability to travel 100% of the time with coverage area that consists of assigned geography. Will require vehicle travel and may require air, train or other commercial travel methods.
- Willingness to travel on temporary duty assignments as needed (by car or plane)
Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey, in addition to any mandatory licensing requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required. Additional relevant experience can be substituted for the required education on the basis of one calendar year of experience for one academic year of education.
Competencies (as demonstrated through experience, training, and/or testing):
- Ability to work remotely without daily supervision
- Intermediate typing and computer skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work
- Ability to establish and build rapport with new people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills to interact with sources, customers and team members
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Personal computer and business solutions software skills
- Proficiency with PC and networked environments
- Ability to identify, understand and apply federal, state and local changes to and/or new regulations/laws pertaining to personnel investigations
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to synthesize information, identify key findings and determine conclusions
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands)
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Maintaining composure in dealing with executives, sources, subjects and staff, in group and one-on-one settings and in situations requiring high performance and results.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey.
- Handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Regular use of vehicle required in the performance of duties.
- Regular talking and hearing.
- Close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequent local travel to interview locations.