The Field Team Leader (FTL) for SCIS Background Investigations (SCIS-BI) directly supports national security and suitability investigations, focusing on supervising and leading a team of background investigators performing background investigations on behalf of government clients. FTL’s will train and mentor investigators responsible for conducting interviews, retrieving records, conducting research and preparing reports of investigation in compliance with federal standards, all laws, and other required federal agency regulations. The FTL organizes, prepares, and conducts basic training and orientation for new investigators and is responsible for the overall production, cycle time, and quality of investigators assigned to his or her team. The FTL will be responsible for conducting and completing investigative fieldwork approximately 25% of the time.
The work location will normally be in the field conducting investigations and working with members of the investigator team, but may at times require reporting to a field office for meetings or training. Travel to other geographic locations (by car or by plane) may also be required as needed.
The Field Team Leader (FTL) will be responsible for managing his or her team of investigators, working with fellow FTLs, and reporting to leadership regarding performance, issues, or risks. FTLs will be expected to have an understanding of P+Ls and team financial performance. A strong understanding of investigative standards, protocols, and service delivery performance is required, in accordance with government guidelines and instructions. Characteristics of the position include managing efficiencies and controlling costs. Leadership, self-discipline, organizational skills, and writing ability within a metrics-driven environment are critical distinguishing elements of the position.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
ᵒ Lead a team of field investigators responsible for the conduct of interviews and background checks that help to ensure the safety and security of the nation.
ᵒ Provides expert instruction, interpretation and feedback to team members.
ᵒ Develops and delivers instructional and performance design and mentoring applications via WebEx, telecom, or in person group meeting.
ᵒ Provides direct and indirect support of field investigators.
ᵒ Meets with SCIS user communities to determine and assist in the design and development of effective quality and training programs to enhance investigator understanding, application and efficiency.
ᵒ Ensure leads are completed in a timely manner and in accordance with investigative standards.
ᵒ Ensure that investigative reports are compiled consistently in a clear, concise report on a standardized reporting format.
ᵒ Meet team quality, timeliness, and production metrics
ᵒ Interact with regional director, program manager, and case review officers to ensure timeliness and thoroughness of investigations.
ᵒ Assist in obtaining field work in a rapid, time-sensitive work environment.
ᵒ May be asked to assist with temporary details (TDYs) to high-need areas, dependent upon workload demands.
ᵒ Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT ENTRY
Additional qualifications may be specified and receive preference, depending upon the nature of the position.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Current (within the last 2 years) Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) or active Secret level security clearance based on an SSBI and able to obtain the required security clearance and successfully passed an adjudicated SSBI clearance.
- Ability to acquire and maintain any other specific special clearances/access requirements.
- Reliable personal vehicle, valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Minimum of three (3) years within the last ten (10) years of investigations experience at the federal, state, or local level of government
- Minimum of five (5) years background investigation work experience, leadership experience preferred
- Background and experience with mentoring principles and training design and development preferred
- Experience with metrics tools, processes, and delivery assurance
- Must be able to successfully complete and pass all required training
- Ability to cover a local territory of approximately a 50 mile radius from home residence
- Must have the ability to travel 100% of the time with coverage area that consists of assigned geography. Will require vehicle travel and may require air, train or other commercial travel methods.
- Willingness to travel on temporary duty assignments as needed (by car or plane)
Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey, in addition to any mandatory licensing requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required. Additional relevant experience can be substituted for the required education on the basis of one calendar year of experience for one academic year of education.
Competencies (as demonstrated through experience, training, and/or testing):
- Must be able to work with little supervision, multi-task, work beyond minimum expectations and, remain flexible and receptive to frequent policy changes and organizational need.
- Ability to work remotely without daily supervision
- Intermediate typing and computer skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work
- Ability to establish and build rapport with new people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills to interact with sources, customers and team members
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Personal computer and business solutions software skills
- Proficiency with PC and networked environments
- Microsoft Office proficiency in Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to identify, understand and apply federal, state and local changes to and/or new regulations/laws pertaining to personnel investigations
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to synthesize information, identify key findings and determine conclusions
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands)
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Maintaining composure in dealing with executives, clients, prospects and staff, in group settings and in situations requiring high performance and results.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey.
- Handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Regular use of vehicle required in the performance of duties.
- Regular talking and hearing.
- Close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.