Paragon Systems is currently hiring for a Security Officer to support our NASA located in Pasadena, California. The position of full-time non-exempt Security Officer which is responsible for developing, coordinating, and conducting physical security services; which may include security surveys/ inspections, and emergency. Any interested candidates must be individuals of unquestionable integrity who display a mature attitude and exercise good judgment. This position requires a self-motivated individual with the ability to function independently and possess excellent organizational and attention to detail skills; and may include working with armed members of the law enforcement profession.
- Knowledge of NASA / JPL Security policies and regulations: knowledge of protective devices and physical security protective systems (including inspection and monitoring operations of each system).
- Able to exercise mature judgment in applying laws and regulations under stress conditions.
- Enforce security directives and regulations.
- Prevent, detect and apprehend violators.
- Control entry to facility closed and restricted areas
- Perform traffic control duties.
- Issue JPL parking and traffic citations.
- Take appropriate action in event of fire, disorder or emergency threatening life or property.
- Manage and maintain the personnel check-in/out process and packages.
- Provide uniform assistance to the JPL Security Investigations Office.
- Assist outside law enforcement agencies while on JPL premises.
- Perform special patrol and / or surveillance duties.
- Investigate accidents and incidents and submit accurate and complete written reports.
- Protect NASA/JPL property, personal and classified information and conduct inspections of vehicles, briefcases and packages to prevent unauthorized removal of government property.
- Fulfill working level security officer functions under direction of the Subcontractor’s shift supervisor and be capable of independent actions under limited supervision.
- Check-in processes include indoctrination briefings, personnel security file creation,
- Assist with the transmittal of security clearance information to support inbound or outbound visit requests as they occur.
- Assist in implementing, and monitoring policies, document marking, safeguarding, and use; personnel access controls; need to know criteria; physical storage and control; security education; and transmitting, transferring, reproducing, downgrading, and destroying information.
- Assigned personnel must be capable of operating a variety of office automation equipment, including copy machines, facsimile machines, networked computers, laser printers, shredders, scanners, and other electronic equipment.
The Security Specialist must also meet the requirements listed below:
- 3-5 years’ experience in the area of security.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and read, write, and speak English.
- Must possess a current fully adjudicated Secret Security Clearance.
- Must have completed the NASA Federal Law Enforcement training basic academy and periodic refresher courses.
- Must possess a California driver’s license.
- Must possess a California Gun Card.
- Be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Meet minimum physical standards prescribed in the prevailing NASA / JPL Security Manal, including any updates or revisions thereof.
- Ability to work any shift.
- Ability to follow established procedures and policies. Post orders to include enforcement of client/company rules, policies, and/or regulations.
- Excellent attention to detail, good verbal and written communications, including legible report writing.
- Ability to provide quality Customer Service.
- Ability to analyze and produce course of action reporting and escalate issues to management in typical and crisis situations.
- Ability to see, hear, and smell in Order to respond to alarms and detect emergency situations.
- Reliable and have a strong work ethic.
- Reliable transportation and current Driver’s License.
- Ability to work independently OR as part of a small group to resolve urgent issues, process orientated with high attention to detail, and triage a problem quickly providing precise/clear information while working under minimum supervision.
- Received a High School diploma, OR received a GED, OR shows HS graduation/equivalent education on a DD-214, OR completion of 60 credit hours in related field from learning institution recognized by Dept. of Education, OR successfully graduated from a federal/state certified law enforcement education/training course that may result in a LE appointment OR commission.
- Must be able to pass a background check covering the last 10 years and pass a drug screening due to the nature of the position.
- Must be able to pass a physical agility test if applicable; complete required training and pass examination.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATION: Driver’s license, Social security card or birth certificate, and any other certification (guard/clearance card, applicable state/local gun/California Guard Card and Gun Card, OC permit Baton permit, CPR, First Aid.)
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands):
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Ability to maintain professional composure when dealing with emotional or confrontational circumstances.
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Regular computer usage.
- Handling and being exposed to sensate and confidential information.
- Required to use vehicle for the performance of duties.
- Regular talking and hearing.
- Occasional walking, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
- Frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
We Participate in the e-Verify Employment Verification Program
VA License Number 11-4665